Friday, January 16, 2009

A Perfect Day... inspired by Silver Valley Girl

I was reading Silver Valley Girl's post, "A Perfect Day" and it sounded so wonderful. My trouble is, I had an "elf" offer herself and two trusted friend "elves" to come and help me organize my home over a year ago. Pride! Enough said. I did not want them to see the extent of my disorganization. Also, I wasn't sure I could allow some of my "stuff" to be donated or tossed.

When I start sorting through a box of art supplies, saved cards, pictures, books, etc., etc., etc., I just can't decide what to do with all of it. There's just no place to put it. I've run out of storage space. I haven't parked in my garage since the year my mom passed away. Too much stuff!

I dream of floor to ceiling bookshelves; of storage bins, cupboards, or drawers specially designed to hold all of the art supplies, keepsakes, and writing files that I have.

Any occasion where company might come over, calls for emergency scrambling. Throw things in a box (this starts out as a box for each category so I can find stuff later, but progresses to "any box will do" just to get it out of sight). Boxes are then stacked in closets, behind large pieces of furniture, in the overstuffed garage... it's insane! This reminded me of just one of my crazy solutions... I once filled my stove with dirty dishes when a friend called and wanted to drop by. Hours later... time for dinner... I preheated the oven! The smoky smell of Tupperware was all that reminded me. Oh my! I need those elves!

I'm laughing right now, but I know this is a serious organizational problem. I'm confessing to all... and this is embarrassing... like the Oprah guest who had to tunnel through her home and worked at a container store...

My former career was as a Records Manager! And, I was good at it! I do have to admit that I honestly hated the organization/filing part of my job. I loved the personal interactions, special projects on the computer, writing letters (loved that), answering phones & questions. I was in the wrong profession! I love writing, reading, creating, talking...

So, like SVG, my perfect day would be for those elves to show up and work their magic...
just as soon as I swallow my pride.

4 comments:

Donna said...

I can so relate to this! I still can't get all my creative STUFF organized! Love the story about the stove, ROFL!

Pam Mattick Art and Stuff said...

I think most artistic types like us can relate to some extent or another. For me the largest problem is that if I can't see something, it does not exist. So, we may have 6 bottles of ketchup or none. 12 thimbles or none. Who knows? I need all clear cupboards. I also have trouble de-stashing, but it's not so much a problem anymore as I begin to realize that all the stuff does not make me happy, it steals my happiness and quality of life. Satan is sneaky and insidious, always trying to encourage us to wreck our own lives. So, just let it all go happily :)Maybe a sister in Christ really needs something you have. Let it go. Good Will needs it. If you really miss something badly, go get another one. Since you must have great organizational skills as a one time manager (wish I had those) you just need to put them to use for yourself. You are worth it. You are SOOOOOO worth it. I'm having a HUGE rummage sale on Memorial Day. Plus Good Will is getting boxes and bags from me.
Love you,
Pam.... and I'm sending hugs and don't tire yourself out trying to do it all at once. Pace yourself :)

Christy Woolum said...

I started about two years ago and did it in small chunks. My favorite part of any project having to do with organizing is buying plastic containers big and small! One of my hardest parts was getting rid of pictures... but you realize these were the double prints and blurry ones. That really helped! I have pretty much got my stuff under control at home... then there is school! Sigh.

Nita Jo said...

I loved all your comments! This has been a process for me. I have donated, and given friends & family, hundreds of dollars worth of furniture, clothing, dvd's, books... and still have more! A direct result of inheriting (from Grandpa G., Dad, Brother, Mom, Mom-in-law, Grandpa E. and Grandma M.) and putting off the sorting. (Well, to be honest... I'm also a yard sale junkie... but I have cut way back...)

I'm a very visual person, so certain family items have specific memories attached to them. I have gradually learned to write about the memory, or take a photo, then I can let them go. And, letting go is a blessing!