Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sunday Scribblings... December... and Manifesto

I have neglected my writing over the past few months.  I can't remember the last time I did a Sunday Scribblings piece.  I am posting today's together with the last one...

Manifesto...

This is a challenge for me.  I couldn't quite wrap my mind around it.  If I were to create a manifesto for myself, it would be very much like a list of resolutions; yet, I resolved not to make any resolutions this year.  A manifesto of my life.  What would that look like?  It is important to me to touch lives in a positive way.  I don't have the resources to make a massive impact on lives, but I do have the power to touch people in smaller, more intimate ways.  A smile in place of a complaint.  Giving a little more of myself.  Spreading bits of peace and joy to others.  Somehow, I think the world can be changed with one kind word, or deed, at a time.  Not really a manifesto I guess, but a dream, and a good one I think.

December...

This was the first December, in a long while, where I really wanted to throw myself into the holiday preparations and celebrations.  The Decembers of my childhood were lovely, festive times.  Christmas programs, caroling, parties, family... joy!  As an adult, you realize that much of what made December special is impacted by lack of money, loss of loved ones, too little time and/or energy... you lose the magic along the way, or at least I did.

Even though I wasn't able to participate in every event I wanted to, I made time to do some of the things that make December unique and special.  I wrote and mailed Christmas cards, bought gifts, spent time with family and friends.  I focused on my spiritual needs.  I listened to Christmas music, and made treats! I looked through old family photos and laughed as I remembered the good times.  I gave what I could to church and charity.  December joy is not automatic.  It takes effort to set aside the cynicism that creeps into our lives... to look for the things that brought us happiness... to cultivate joy.  It was worth every bit of effort I put into it.  I'm glad I found my "December" again.


I hope you enjoyed my two Sunday Scribblings offerings.  If you want to see some of my older SS writing, go Here.  If you'd like to read what other writers shared on these prompts, visit Sunday Scribblings.  To see my everyday writing go to my Home Page.


Copyright January 2, 2011 ajj

4 comments:

Donna said...

I like the idea of a manifesto! It's setting down a life purpose in writing. I don't do resolutions either. I set goals for myself throughout the year, resetting them as needed and establishing new ones when others are attained.

"cultivate the joy" - What a beatiful way to put it. Joy isn't one of those things that magically appears. You have to work for it!

Donna said...

I just take each day as it comes... You're So organized!
Here's to another year sweetheart!
Hughugs

Unknown said...

Hi Nita Jo!
Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas and your new year is off to a great start. And I hope I never forget the magic of Christmas either, not really the presents but the small, magical moments that make it so sweet! Sprinkled with good friends!
KAte

Sally said...

I don't make resolutions either, like Donna I take one day at the time. Joy, I believe, is different for everyone. For me, it's the smile of a stranger, a touch from a loved one, the laughter of a child.

I love this post, Nita Jo! And, I too am glad you had a good Christmas. God bless.