Thursday, November 24, 2011

Lines...

For the past couple of days, people have been lining up for the midnight sales that start tonight.  One part of me says they're crazy, even greedy.  They could be spending the day with family.  On the other hand, maybe it's the only chance they have to give their family the things many of us take for granted.  Nice dishes, a coffee maker, toys for their child's Christmas, a television set, linens, clothing.  As I sit here this morning typing on this PC that I am thankful to have, sipping a hot cup of coffee from the Keurig, and listening to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in the background, I realize that I am abundantly blessed.  I shouldn't judge those who are willing to camp out, in the freezing cold, to get a little more of their American dream. 

As I wish you Happy Thanksgiving, I'm so grateful for my family and for all we have.  Many people this holiday season are without jobs, standing in food lines, wondering what the future will bring.  In today's paper there is a photo of a young soldier in uniform, with his family, standing in a food line.  It's wrong, so very wrong.  

I'm praying for a light, and an answer, in this current economic darkness.  May God bless each of you today, and fill your homes with peace and love.                               

7 comments:

Susie~From My Home To Yours said...

Hey Nita Jo,

Happy Thanksgiving to you. I was abundantly blessed today as I prepared food and spent time with friends and family.

I could care less about hitting the sales...but then again, tomorrow's another day!

Blessings,
Susie

Donna said...

Oh Nita...SO True!
A Soldier??? God in Heaven....that is SO Wrong!
I Also am very Blessed and thankful...
Sweet weekend Friend!
hughugs

Donna said...

I hope that you had a lovely Thanksgiving! I am counting my blessings too. There are many folks that are going through difficult times. It is sad to see folks standing in a food line, but the happier side of the coin is that there are generous folks who are donating time and money so that there can BE a line for those that need food!

Nita Jo said...

Susie, I did hit a few online sales on Friday. Lol. Better than standing in long line. So glad you had a wonderful family time together.

Donna, The picture of that young soldier was so sad to see. So many people in food lines these days. I know I am blessed and I try to remember to give thanks every day!

And the other Donna, I did have an interesting Thanksgiving. Very busy. You're so right about the people on the other side of that line. Generosity of spirit, and helping those in need, is what makes communities strong!

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Now that is a sweet and wonderful message. I refused to even go near a store to do any shopping. It was crazy. Folk tend to loose all sense at some of these things. The retailer really love it and great rich off of it. People get hurt and tramped trying to get something as small as a $1.00 dish towel. I don't understand. Like you, I am grateful for family and friends and having a loving family. These things you can't find at a store.
God's love towards us is the greatest gift ever.
To have Christ is more then anything.
Best to you.
V

Kathy Morris said...

Okay - I admit, I did go out shopping that day - but with my mom, my sister, and my daughter! Priceless! So we got socks and PJ pants, and we are truly blessed! Great to see you are still writing! Love ya!
Kathy M
http://kathymnotsoordinary.blogspot.com/

Nita Jo said...

Vanessa, You are so right about God's love! I think we forget that so often in our busy lives. Faith and family should always come first! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, I really appreciate it!

Kathy, Sounds like you got the best of both, plus knowing your little family group it had to be nothing but giggles and fun! I'd love to meet you all for coffee and chat sometime. Love you too!