Friday, March 16, 2012

A Sweet and Sad Farewell...

Today was the funeral service for my father-in-law.  This was such a difficult day, especially for my husband, his sister, and my sons.  He was a WWII Veteran, so has been buried at the Idaho State Veterans Cemetery.  It was pouring rain, but we got a brief reprieve right about the time we needed the casket moved to the Committal Pavilion, a covered area where the service was held.

As we drove up the hill toward the Pavilion, I saw the soldiers standing at attention.  That meant so much to us.  I had never been to a military funeral and didn't know what to expect.  It does go very quickly, because they have services every hour.  It's handled with dignity, precision, and respect, from the moment you arrive until Taps is played.

My husband and sons were pallbearers.  Even though it's just a short movement of the casket, from vehicle to a transport cart, I was so proud to see my boys do this for their grandpa, and my husband for his dad.  One final act of love and respect for their grandpa, and of my husband for his father.  It's heartbreaking to say farewell, but we believe he was welcomed home by those he loved, those who had made the journey before him.  We will miss him.

6 comments:

Donna said...

Sending love to you all...
(((((HUG)))))

Donna said...

I am so sorry for your loss. {{{{hugs}}}}}

Tammy said...

Praying for you Anita.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You grieve when you lose someone you love ... your Father-in-law's funeral was a fitting goodbye to a hero, not only in the eyes of his country, but in the eyes of his family. God Blees Him and you ... time will leave you with all of your wonderful memories of him. A blessing to have been such an important part of his life.

Andrea of From The Sol

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

I am so sorry Nita...I will be praying for you dear friend..

love Nita Zimmerman

Nita Jo said...

Each of your comments meant so much to me. We were blessed to have him in our lives. Now we will treasure our memories. Thank you so much for your love and prayers.