Thursday, July 16, 2015

Clothing Purge...

I'm in the process of an extreme clothing purge. I've emptied closets and drawers of all my clothing, except winter coats. Pursuant to advice in "The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up" I piled it all on my family room floor and am going through it a piece at a time. The photo below, from about 1976, is proof of my hoarding. I found that shirt, a hand-me-down from my grandpa, still hanging in a closet. I can barely get my arms into that once baggy, grandpa shirt, now over 38 years old! Why was I keeping it? I guess it reminded me of grandpa, and Halloween fun, but it's way past time to let it go! It's still in great shape, so it's going into one of the donation boxes.

This is me, in about 1976, after a Harvest Party, wearing my grandpa's clothes. 

Explanation of the photo... I'd borrowed grandpa's shirt, and his painting pants, for a costume to wear for a Harvest Party at my church. I'd just washed my clown make-up off, because my face was on fire, and mom came in and insisted I pose for a photo in her newly wallpapered bathroom. She was really proud of all the work she'd done. How could I refuse?

Anyway, this clothing purge is just phase one of my organizing project. I'll try to keep you updated on my progress. I'm excited to make some big changes in my home!


2 comments:

Donna said...

Love the photo!
I have a few pieces of clothing of my mom and dad's and I still can't part with them...I rarely see my sister (even though she lives 2 miles from me) and the rest of my family is dead OR the rest live in Connecticut...I'm in Texas. I've been up there for 2 visits since my folks died but can't get them to return visit...but they can travel down to Florida...
I'm whining...and no more trips for me to CT...I'm done.
SO, I'll keep my mementos but the rest really needs another purge.
It's a job!
hughugs

Nita Jo said...

I understand about family. I have some close family I never see anymore for different reasons... distance, busy lives, etc., but thankfully I have a "family" of close friends nearby. I did well on the clothing purge, but haven't started phase two yet as it's been a busy week. Hopefully starting that on Monday! Sending you a Big Hug! :)