Saturday, July 25, 2015

Reflections on High School...

This is the weekend of my 40th high school reunion. I wasn't able to attend for a couple reasons. First, I didn't make up my mind in time to RSVP and secondly, I just haven't been feeling well. MS and heat don't play well together. Both events were outdoor venues, so wisdom called for opting out. We were invited to drop by later this evening for the dance, but my dancing days are pretty much behind me and my husband is at one of his classic car groups tonight.

I didn't have a lot of close friendships in high school, but I did have a lot of acquaintances I enjoyed immensely. It would have been fun to find out what they've all been up to for the past 40 years. I haven't done a good job of keeping in touch with even the closet of those friends. Time has a way of shifting our priorities.

At this point in my life, I'd love to reconnect with some of my old friends. I still see their smiles in my memories.  In high school, I was a bit of a lost soul, trying to find my voice and place in the world. I feigned confidence at times and tried to hide from the world at other times. I know I made a lot of mistakes along the way, but I've tried to live a kind and decent life. I know I'm more accepting and forgiving than I once was, and I like to think I'm still fun to hang out with. There's nothing like sharing a laugh with a friend.

Looking back over the years, I can say I've been blessed. I share my life with a wonderful husband and two sons. As I think about my school years, even with all the angst and craziness I put myself through, I mostly have sweet, funny memories of kids who were all going through their own growing pains. To those who've made it to 40 years, I send my good wishes! To those who left us too soon, I remember you with a smile, thankful you graced this world for a season.


© 25Jul2015 ajj

No comments: