Friday, August 25, 2017

Conversations...

I've been without a car for the past two weeks, though why it matters I really can't say, I rarely leave the house anymore. I've been sitting here reflecting on conversations I've had on the telephone, and how thankful I am for that simple convenience. Today, I was able to talk to one of my best friends, my kindred spirit, Carol. She recently lost her mother. I haven't been able to get to a shop and find an appropriate card. The sympathy cards in my supply just didn't express what was in my heart, which was overflowing with sadness and love for her and her family. I lost my mom over 16 years ago, and I miss her just as much today as I did that first week. I just shed fewer tears now, though occasionally the tears still come.

Beautiful angel image, courtesy of The Graphics Fairy

We talked about moms, and loss, and the things you want to do as well as need to do, along with some general chitchat. I mentally reached for just the right comforting words to say, but they didn't come. Mind blank. Frozen. Hopefully the love came through.

Some I also talked to this week: my other best friend, DeAnn; my Uncle Burt; my dear friend Marjie, who was also my grandma's best friend; Aunt Beth, technically my husband's aunt, but totally adopted by me; my cousin, Elverta; my husband, phoning from the eclipse party in the mountains that I had to miss. There may have been others I'm not remembering right now, but it was a busy week on the phone.

Conversation is my favorite way of connecting with people. I do love social media like Facebook, I enjoy blogging and visiting the blogs of friends, email is also good, but better than all of these is conversation. Ideally, it would be done face to face, over a cup of coffee and perhaps a decadent dessert, but the telephone is the next best thing. It takes away from the isolation I've allowed my health to place me in. If you do nothing else this week, make time for your loved ones and your friends in whatever way you can, message, phone call, or visit. We benefit from interaction with others. It reminds us we are all in this world together. Let's make it a beautiful place to be.

© 25Aug2017 ajjahner

No comments: