Sunday, April 13, 2014

Where Does the Time Go...

My commitment to post a few times each week seems to have lapsed, but I guess it's a good thing when life is keeping me busy. I've spent a lot of time scanning photos and updating my Ancestry.com tree and Find a Grave memorial pages. I've been doing more research on my great grandmother, and finally found the location of her grave. A volunteer in Wyoming went out and got a photo of her gravestone. I don't know why, but it made me feel closer to her just by looking at the photo.

I never knew the first name of her second husband, but family lore was she met him while working in Canada. I'd done online searches many times, but this past week I had a new idea. Based on what I knew about her workplace in Canada, I did a search of Canadian Census and Marriage records with her nickname and his last name. There they were on the 1921 Census! They were living in Saskatchewan and her children were also listed, so I knew I had the right family. The Wyoming Find a Grave volunteer also sent me some newspaper clippings and documents she discovered.

There is a deep satisfaction I get from working on my family tree. I love imagining what my ancestor's lives were like. Every piece I fill in on my family puzzle, brings me closer to them.

Wishing each of you a day filled with family, friends, and joy.

2 comments:

Donna said...

What a neat find!! I wouldn't know where to begin!
hughugs

Nita Jo said...

Thanks Donna! It was a wonderful find! I just signed up for another year of Ancestry.com, because I found out I could get a 30% discount because I joined AARP! Yippee! I've been going through records yesterday and today and have found a lot more! :D