Sunday, July 26, 2009
Before I go any further, I must say "farewell" to my oldest niece. She hit the road in a U-Haul early today. She is off to pursue the only thing she has ever dreamed of... to be a full-time singer/songwriter/musician. She's written hundreds of songs and has performed locally. Now she is on to the next phase of the dream. I will miss her so, but I wish her love, joy, and success. I will be waiting to purchase that first CD!
I will be gone this week, but will be checking back in with all of you next weekend. I'm taking some reading material with me, my sketchpad and pencils, a notebook, and a comfortable camp chair. Maybe the change of scenery will inspire me back to my writing.
Speaking of inspiration, here are some Free Images for you. They come from Dover Clip Art, which offers a large assortment of images to use in your art projects. They should enlarge when you click on them. Then just right click and save to your own art file. You can save them even if they do not enlarge. There is a frame from one of the many Celtic books, an image from the Gibson Girls collection, and two florals from Ladies Flower Garden. Enjoy!
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
This week has been busy. Doctor visits... yearly tests, which I hadn't done since 2004! Now that is procrastinating! You know... the mammogram, bone density, bloodwork, etc., etc...
I am also supposed to be planning what to pack for next weeks camp. Sounds like it will be a hot weather year, and I do not have the figure for shorts! I only have two of the capri length, so tomorrow I am hitting the local Walmart sale with hope that they still have a few of the "big gal" sizes left.
I wish I had something more excitng to share... I'm even yawning while writing this post, but I promised myself I'd write something today... Sorry, this is it! LOL!
Just in case they are reading my blog... "Happy Birthday to Brian Peoples (one day late) and Ms. Jessica (today is the day)! I hope you both had a wonderful birthday. I love you both so much!!!
Friday, July 17, 2009
The theme is "Keeping Cool" and is due to be posted on August 1. Mine will not be up until the afternoon of the 1st, so check back.
If you want to play, or just look at all the photo entries, go to: The Brenda Photo Challenge Blog
This is fun for beginners or experienced photographers! Have fun with it!
Thursday, July 16, 2009
It was relaxing and uplifting. Following was a meeting of our volunteers that are working at this summers Youth Camp. I love camp, and am planning to go this year. They are very kind to me and usually give me a job helping with the afternoon snack bar. My husband will be helping in the kitchen again.
One of the fun things about the volunteer meeting was seeing the faces of so many "kids" that grew up in the church, and attending camp, now volunteering as counselors, etc. They are passing on the camp legacy to the next generation. This is the 50th Anniversary of our Church Camp. I attended many of those years, beginning at age 7. I have so many wonderful memories. It was always the highlight of my summers.
Well, it's time to go pull a few weeds, before the temperature gets too high. Supposed to be 100 or so today. Too hot for me! I am going to spend part of my afternoon in a movie theatre with my friend DeAnn and our boys. I think it's been over two years since I went to a theatre! And yes, I am going to buy the small (but highly overpriced) buttered popcorn and an icy Coke!
*Laurie Roberts - See sidebar photolink to hear some of her music. (Yes, this is another bold, unashamed plug. I happen to think she's one of Christian radio's undiscovered treasures! God is using her nevertheless...always the more!)
Saturday, July 11, 2009
- Romance - I watched the movie, "While You Were Sleeping" as one of my favorite romantic movies. I think it's the instant connection they have that reminds me of PJ and I. There was a connection the second time we met. Our first meeting had been at a church event in Idaho Falls, Idaho. It was a huge group of people. I remember noticing his eyes, and that was it. I went back to my home town. A few years later, while working in my church gym at the snack bar, one of my friends said, "Anita, I want you to meet someone." There he was, this tall, goofy guy with wrinkled clothes (later I learned he did his laundry at the laundromat, and instead of folding them, he just squished them into the hamper to take back to his apartment). I avoided him like the plague for five months. At that time, we were seated across from each other at a graduation banquet. I could not deny my attraction to him, so I decided to try to get to know him. Once we had our first date, I knew he was for me. Five weeks after that, we were married at church following a Sunday morning service. Simple & inexpensive. My Grandpa Evert did the ceremony. After 28 years, I still cannot imagine spending my life with anyone else!
- No beach for a sandcastle... instead I went through photos of fun times when I was young. It's surprising how many things I left behind that I loved to do. I made a commitment to put some of the fun back into my life. Sorry, there was no way to take a photo of that.
- Say No! This is one of the hardest things for me to do. I like pleasing people and have been known to take on more than I can possibly manage. The trouble is that over the last couple of weeks, nobody has asked anything of me. I was prepared to use "I have Chronic Toolazytoomoovitis" so I will save it for the next request! Lol!
- Dress Up. I'm basically a jeans and t-shirt or sweater gal, but on our Anniversary we decided to ask two of our closest friends to go to dinner with us. I dressed in slacks and a summer sweater (yes, that's dressing up for me), applied a touch of mascara and off we went. We had a wonderful time. After dinner, they invited us in to play a "brisk" game of Dominoes (none of us are getting any younger... lol)! We had not done that in ages and it was so much fun!
Now for my list of goals. This list does not include the obvious of taking better care of my family, and my commitments to God. This list is for personal growth in other areas. It was a more difficult task for me...
- Remember how to have fun... and do it!
- Do more writing, and find my voice in my writing.
- Let my inner artist out and only do art I enjoy.
- Read more. Find the love of reading I once had.
- Bring music back into my life; listening, singing, and playing... not for anyone else, just for the sheer pleasure of it.
The most important thing about this list is, we are to accomplish our goals in the next 6 months. I have a habit of putting things on the back burner. Especially the fun things. Like many others, I make excuses for not achieving what I want out of life. That said, I am adding a sixth goal; No more excuses... life is just too short!
Regarding the little things, remember, no gesture is too small:
"If you can't feed a hundred people, then just feed one." ~ Mother Teresa
And enjoy your life:
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." ~ Helen Keller
Sunday, July 5, 2009
The new song selection is for my husband, PJ! Today is our wedding anniversary! We have been married for 28 years! When I think back over time, we have come through a lot. It's been quite a journey for us.
I was twenty four, and PJ was 23... don't we look young and happy! This was taken at the wedding reception. We decided to have a simple wedding. We were married on a Sunday, right after the morning church service. Our reception was a few days later, following our honeymoon to the Oregon Coast.
We had a whirlwind romance... we were married just 5 weeks from our first date! A bit crazy maybe, but we knew what we wanted. I don't advise that for most people, but it worked for us. A lot of rumors were put to rest when I didn't have my first child until 5 years later. Lol!
After the ceremony was finished, we met the family at our favorite Chinese restaurant, Golden Star. It is still a favorite of ours!
One thing I know for sure... I love PJ more today than I could have ever imagined all those years ago. I'm looking forward to what life brings us next. Whatever it is, we will be enjoying the adventure together!
Well, I can't decide if I'm up too early or stayed awake too late... whichever it is, I am going to go take a "nap" so I will be able to enjoy the rest of the day without nodding off.
Have a wonderful Sunday everyone...
and to my sweet husband...
I Love You Honey! Happy Anniversary!