- Romance - I watched the movie, "While You Were Sleeping" as one of my favorite romantic movies. I think it's the instant connection they have that reminds me of PJ and I. There was a connection the second time we met. Our first meeting had been at a church event in Idaho Falls, Idaho. It was a huge group of people. I remember noticing his eyes, and that was it. I went back to my home town. A few years later, while working in my church gym at the snack bar, one of my friends said, "Anita, I want you to meet someone." There he was, this tall, goofy guy with wrinkled clothes (later I learned he did his laundry at the laundromat, and instead of folding them, he just squished them into the hamper to take back to his apartment). I avoided him like the plague for five months. At that time, we were seated across from each other at a graduation banquet. I could not deny my attraction to him, so I decided to try to get to know him. Once we had our first date, I knew he was for me. Five weeks after that, we were married at church following a Sunday morning service. Simple & inexpensive. My Grandpa Evert did the ceremony. After 28 years, I still cannot imagine spending my life with anyone else!
- No beach for a sandcastle... instead I went through photos of fun times when I was young. It's surprising how many things I left behind that I loved to do. I made a commitment to put some of the fun back into my life. Sorry, there was no way to take a photo of that.
- Say No! This is one of the hardest things for me to do. I like pleasing people and have been known to take on more than I can possibly manage. The trouble is that over the last couple of weeks, nobody has asked anything of me. I was prepared to use "I have Chronic Toolazytoomoovitis" so I will save it for the next request! Lol!
- Dress Up. I'm basically a jeans and t-shirt or sweater gal, but on our Anniversary we decided to ask two of our closest friends to go to dinner with us. I dressed in slacks and a summer sweater (yes, that's dressing up for me), applied a touch of mascara and off we went. We had a wonderful time. After dinner, they invited us in to play a "brisk" game of Dominoes (none of us are getting any younger... lol)! We had not done that in ages and it was so much fun!
Now for my list of goals. This list does not include the obvious of taking better care of my family, and my commitments to God. This list is for personal growth in other areas. It was a more difficult task for me...
- Remember how to have fun... and do it!
- Do more writing, and find my voice in my writing.
- Let my inner artist out and only do art I enjoy.
- Read more. Find the love of reading I once had.
- Bring music back into my life; listening, singing, and playing... not for anyone else, just for the sheer pleasure of it.
The most important thing about this list is, we are to accomplish our goals in the next 6 months. I have a habit of putting things on the back burner. Especially the fun things. Like many others, I make excuses for not achieving what I want out of life. That said, I am adding a sixth goal; No more excuses... life is just too short!
Regarding the little things, remember, no gesture is too small:
"If you can't feed a hundred people, then just feed one." ~ Mother Teresa
And enjoy your life:
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." ~ Helen Keller