Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Burning Leaves...

Vintage Autumn Print
November is filled with so many memories. One of my fondest is raking up piles of oak leaves. My sister and I would have fun jumping in the leaves, while grandpa continued to rake under the birch, the crab apple, and the willows, then he would take them, one wheelbarrow load at a time, and roll them out to the burn barrels. I still love the smell of burning leaves during autumn. That aroma is much more rare where I live now, as my little town has grown so large. The fields have been replaced with houses and shopping centers, and there are restrictions on burning in city limits. I may have to toss a couple leaves on the barbecue, and see if the smell still evokes the same feelings.

© 11NOV2014 ajj

4 comments:

Donna said...

I remember raking and jumping in the leaf piles too! I could entertain myself for hours that way, LOL. And yes, we used to burn our leaves during my childhood. It was always very supervised! The whole event, including the smell, was somehow comforting. Thank you for triggering some fond memories!

Nita Jo said...

I seem to be wrapped in memories this week. I guess it's the upcoming holidays. I love this time of year!

Gathering Around the Table said...

Dad always raked them out into the street and burned them. Everyone seemed to do that. I love that smell also.

Nita Jo said...

Christy, I love the sound of that! I wonder if anyone in town burned leaves in the street? We had those big round metal trash barrels, so that's what we used.