Saturday, November 21, 2015

Thinking of Thanksgiving and Family...

I just watched Home for the Holidays, a 1995 movie with Holly Hunter. It's about a seriously dysfunctional family, and it made me long for the family gatherings of my younger days.

I think every family has some skeletons in the closet, odd relatives or even outright irritating ones, but it's still your family. There's something lovely about bringing all the disparate members together in the confined setting of a holiday weekend. Somehow, even when things go terribly wrong, the outright messiness of it is endearing, even precious, when we look back on it. There is nothing more grounding than being part of a big, crazy family unit.

As you gather with your family or your friends this coming week, soak in all the moments, the uniqueness of your experience. The aggravations as well as the joys, because it all adds up to a distinctly personal page in your life story.

Embrace those you are with, reflect on those who are gone, cherish every bit of it!

Wishing you a joyous Thanksgiving holiday!

© 21Nov2015 ajj

2 comments:

Donna said...

I could write a flipping' book on dysfunctional families...but I just keep on keeping on!
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving girlfriend!!
hughugs

Nita Jo said...

Donna, that's definitely the trick to surviving the craziness! That, and a lot of love! My Thanksgiving was quiet, but very nice, I hope yours was too! Hugs right back to you!