Friday, March 10, 2017

Grandpa's Shoes...

I have a very old pair of my grandpa's shoes. I never considered donating them as they are well-worn and out of style, but I keep them because they're beautiful to me.

When I was little, I was fascinated when grandpa would get out his shoe kit. The tins of polish, the brush, the rags. He would remove the shoe strings, clean the shoes, then begin the process of rubbing the polish in. This was always done in small circular motions, using care to cover every bit of the leather. When that was done, the buffing began. He would work over the shoe, with a soft cloth, until the shoe gleamed like new. I remember the smile of satisfaction when he finished. He would talk about the value of caring for your shoes and clothing. A good pair of shoes could last you for many years if they were properly cleaned, polished, and maintained.

In the disposable world we live in, those shoes are a gentle reminder to care for and cherish what we have.

© 10MAR2017 ajj

No comments: