Friday, December 26, 2014

Christmas Traditions, and These are the Days of Our Lives...

I'm surprised Days of Our Lives has weathered the demise of the soap opera, but it's been around for a long time. It was mom's favorite. When I lived in Phoenix, before the advent of VCR's, mom had to work when the show aired. She convinced me to watch it for her and call her with the highlights once or twice a week. It was a connection with mom, and I became a fan of the show.

I haven't watched it for many years now, but while switching channels today, I inadvertently came across the end of todays episode. At Christmastime, they have a tradition on the show where they decorate the tree with special ornaments. The family members names are on each of the ornaments. It brought back a flood of memories of my mom, and made me think about the importance of traditions in families.

We still hang stockings by our fireplace, and every Christmas I have certain ornaments I love to decorate with, because it has become part of our holiday tradition. I have several given to me by my mom and my grandparents that are special to me, I have one with my dad's name written on it, some gathered over the years such as "Our First Christmas Together" which we purchased the year PJ and I were married, an angel given to me by my in-laws, ornaments I bought when our boys were born, and so many others. This year we had a tiny tree, and many of our ornaments are in storage, but I managed to put a lot of my favorites on our little tree. There's a special feeling I get from following our family traditions. I think they're important, and they definitely give me joy.  I hope each of you celebrated your holiday with traditions special to you, and I hope you had a Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Donna said...

We had a pretty good one...family at least were together.
Glad you got to make another memory!
I haven't seen DOOL's in 20 yrs??Hahaaa
Wouldn't know any of the characters anymore...
hughugs

Nita Jo said...

Donna, I thought the same thing, but a lot of the old timers are still there... Marlena, John, Caroline Brady, Sammie, Kayla, so many others. Some may show up just for the Christmas episodes, but it was definitely a "walk down memory lane" to see it. :)