Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Where Have I Been?

Life got messy again. Between the yard sale, a family member moving away soon, major changes at my church which I still can't attend in person, hitting a roadblock with my writing... it's all been a bit too much.

I made my third call this week to people I love who now have dementia. Two of the calls were today. Mary W. last Thursday. She remembered me, or seemed to, but little else. I'm still glad I made the call. Paul's Aunt Beth was today. She didn't know me at all. I still chatted a bit and told her I loved her. She and I have spent hours on the phone the past few years, talking art, writing, family, politics. So much in common and so much shared laughter. 

The last call was to my Uncle Tom. He knew me but was living in an earlier time in his life. We were able to talk about his motorcycle and his cats. He misses having pets where he's at. It's hard not to cry. You don't lose the person, but you lose a treasure trove of memories you shared. He was the last person I know who remembered my great grandparents, my grandparents, and my mom's childhood. I still had so many more questions to ask. Below is a photo of my uncle and his two sisters who have both passed on. He's the last of his siblings. The last who would have known their childhood stories.

Tom, Patsy, and Leah

Life is fleeting. When you're busy living it, you sometimes forget to savor it. To see and hear and absorb the stories of family members. I'm going to make an effort to be more present when I am with loved ones. To enjoy the moments and the making of memories. 


© 17AUG2022 ajjahner

5 comments:

Carol Woolum Roberts said...

Such wise advice to savor life. And I bet as things settle, the weather cools and you move into your favorite btime of year, fall will be a harvest of creativity!!

Sally said...

You are so right, Nita Jo. Time, itself, is fleeting. We have a tape of our only grandparent we knew, Big Mama, talking about her life growing up. It warms my heart yet makes me sad.

xoxo

Nita Jo said...

Carol, thanks for the encouragement! I do think the cooler weather and life settling down a bit will allow for more creativity. Hopefully, a bountiful harvest!

Sally, what a blessing to have a tape of your Big Mama! I have just a couple very brief video clips, but they are precious to me. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart!

Donna said...

My close friend and neighbor of 48 yrs has Alzheimer's...Started showing up about a year ago but has progressed SO fast (thank God). She can't remember things said for over 2 to three minutes then nothing...repeating things...I'm heartbroken for her and the family.
Make memories while you can!!
hughugs
Donna

Nita Jo said...

Donna, I'm so sorry about your friend. It's a devastating disease for the person with it and all their family and friends. I'm reminding myself to enjoy each day and appreciate the time I have with others.
Big Hugs!
Anita Jo