Monday, January 12, 2009

Mondays, Blessings, Change...

Well, another Monday is almost over. I like Mondays. Beginning of a new work week. For me, that means trying to get back to the huge list of organizing/cleaning projects that never seem to completely disappear.

PJ had his doctor check today. He is to go back to work as he feels able. He's thinking of trying a short day tomorrow, if he feels as well in the morning as he has today. It's a blessing that he has had such a quick recovery!

Another blessing... Lucky 13 gets to sit in with a local Chamber Orchestra tomorrow night. He auditioned for the conductor during Christmas break. I think it will be a great learning experience and a wonderful opportunity.

I've thought a lot about my Grandpa Evert the past couple of days. His birthday would have been the 11th. He was a blessing in my life and taught me so much. If I have only a grain of the faith he had, I have an abundance.

This quote reminded me of Grandpa...

"He was a person who, if he did not exactly love change, had learned to welcome it, to stand in the shifting winds with a continuous alert curiosity about whatever might come next. I think this is the secret...of a different sort of youthfulness..." —Mark Doty

I'm not sure who it actually referred to, but Grandpa never seemed as old as his years. Well, at least until the last year of his life when his health declined. He had a curiosity about life and learning that I think kept him younger than the calendar indicated.

I've heard that the secret to youthfulness is to continue learning, changing, and enjoying life. I'm giving it a try!

6 comments:

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

My husband is in his 7th decade of life, and I think that quote is so true -- he remembers old times, but embraces the new -- has an iPod, blog, emails all the time, is getting a BlackBerry so that he can text more -- !!! I hope to be as flexible when I'm his age!

Lovely blog you have...hope you get to the bottom of those fake emails, hackers are just so annoying and upsetting!

Donna said...

Hope springs, eternal....
Happy day sweetheart!!!hughugs

Christy Woolum said...

I remember that about Grandpa Evert... what a wonderful blessing he was to everyone that knew him.

Donna said...

I've been running behind on my bloggig buddies, so somehow I missed knowing about your hubby's surgery (or else forgot, lol). I'm glad to know that he's doing great in his recovery. Sounds like you had a special grandpa who taught you about finding the joys in life.

Joni said...

There's a lot to be learned here from your grandfather and I love that quote and I also think you are right about the secret to youthfulness

Nita Jo said...

Thanks for all the positive comments! I hope to fit in time to visit all your blogs very soon. I can't believe January is half over... I still have a few Christmas snowmen, etc. sitting around... Oh my!

Bless you all!
Nita Jo