Monday, May 23, 2022

May Prompts #4

 And it continues... I am almost caught up on prompts. 


17. How has your writing life evolved in the past three months?

I have become more desciplined in the writing of morning pages, also called the sowing seeds of creativity. I have finally pulled out my book, dormant since 2013, and started to read through what I had and making notes for changes and additional story ideas. I have found a new confidence in my writing ideas and abilities. I have spent time on a few creative writing projects and prompts. I have done a few more blog posts. I feel my writing is moving in a positive direction, one that will bring fruit. One that will take me to my next level of writing. I credit this to the class on The Artist's Way which I signed up for through Grow Me a Story.


18. Write about a time when a wise woman made a difference in your life.

I can't bring one specific moment to mind. My mother and my grandmother both imparted so much wisdom and faith to me in very different ways. They are the women I would go to when I needed counsel, along with a couple of dear friends who were also will to listen and give thoughtful, compassionate advice. I don't choose to go into detail on any of this. I will say that finding a wise person who will listen with their heart, as well as their ears, and will thoughtfully speak from their heart is a priceless treasure. be they woman or man.


19. What is your favorite flower that blooms in May? Why?

I get excited by any flowers that bloom in May. Here in the Treasure Valley that can change from year to year depending on the changeable Idaho weather. Most Hyacinths and Tulips have bloomed and are gone by early May, as well as the Forsythia. My favorite of all the flowers is the Lilac and this year it is still in bloom! I love the purple color. I love the heady fragrance. The look of the delicate little blossons. They also remind me of my grandpa. He loved them too! He pruned our bushes into small trees and they were beautiful! I have a photo of him standing next to his last Lilac "tree". It was as tall as he was, and so beautiful. Lilacs are the flowers of happy memories and the early sign of a beautiful summer season to come.


20. Use the word "garden" as your prompt today.

Garden. I see grandpa out weeding, pruning, watering, harvesting. He was the gardener, as was his father. I am not a gardener. I can barely keep my houseplants alive. I do appreciate a lovely garden though. I have memories of rose gardens in parks in Caldwell, Nampa, and Boise, Idaho. My husband and I visited a rose garden on our honeymoon in Portland, Oregon. We also visited the Japanese garden while there. It was so serene and peaceful. I love a garden that is green and simple, with water features, rocks, sand, and statues. I also love a garden that is an explosion of color. It's like a party for the senses with all the different fragrances and the varying shapes and colors of the blossoms.


21. What was the last article or book you read that inspired you? Why was it inspiring?

Saturday, which happened to be the 21st, my sister brought me a very rough, beat up copy of the Amplified Bible with both Old and New Testaments. It had been gifted to her by our grandma after grandpa had passed away. She has now gifted it to me. It was originally given to our grandpa by his parents in 1965. I sat and thumbed through it, reading highlighted passages. It was inspiring, not just because of what the scriptures said, but because it had been held and marked and cherished by my grandpa. It is the second Bible of his I am privileged to own. Well loved books like this one are an inspiration. Something to treasure and to reread again and again.


22. What color caught your eye today, and why?

Blue. It started with noticing the beautiful blue sky when I opened the front door to get my Sunday paper. Blue is the color I chose for 2022. I was also wearing a blue Star Wars t-shirt. As I sat sipping my morning coffee, I realized how much blue is already in my home. A blue curtain at the kitchen window. A blue and white quilt hanging over our sliding glass doors. Different shades of blue from cobalt to a seafoam blue green. Little dog salt and pepper shakers; book covers like Harry Potter, a Vera mystery, and more; a dark blue Old Navy metal cup I use as a pencil and pen holder; the blue pen I an writing with. Blue all around, and more to come as it's my current favorite color!




© 23MAY2022 ajjahner

2 comments:

Donna said...

I'm SO glad you pulled out your old manuscript! Finish it...maybe with your older voice...
hughugs

Nita Jo said...

Thanks Donna! I'm glad I did too. It's definitely a challenge, but one I'm excited to get back to after all this time.
Big HUGS!