Sunday, May 29, 2022

May Prompts #5

Here are the next few prompts. I'm still not caught up, but working on it. So many things to do!


23. Write a letter to your 10-year-old self on the last day of school before summer break.

Dear Jo, 

This is going to be one of the best summers ever! Take it all in. Hold it! Remember it! After the loss of your little brother, there will be an extra effort by the adults in your life. Enjoy the love and attention. It's not that they love you differently or more than before, it's just that they realize how fleeting life is. You are headed to California with your grandparents and your little sister, leaving school early! That means Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, Sea World. You get to see the ocean! Ask them to take lots of pictures of you and your sis. You will wish they had. Soak in all the sights at Disneyland. The magic, the colors, the sounds. Hear the laughter of your grandparents, your sis, the Thorntons, and remember. Tuck it all away in your heart and memory as the treasure it is! Live fully! Have fun! 

With love, your much older self, Anita Jo


24. Describe the scene outside your window.


As I glanced out my sliding doors, I see so much green from all the rain we've been blessed with this spring. Today is overcast and colder. The wind is gently blowing the leaves of the Maple tree and the Hollyhocks which are now about 3 feet high. The two potted geraniums are in full bloom. Red and so pretty! Two of the rose bushes on the berm now have blossoms, the red one and the pink one. There are birds at the feeders. Doves in the big one, staying under the cover in case of more rain. The rhubarb has gone crazy! It is so tall and thick and takes command of 1/3 of our garden spot. I am loving the rain, the clouds, and all the blooms and the green! It's a perfect afternoon for writing and reading.



25. Use the word "progress" as your prompt today.


Progress. To move forward. To accomplish a goal. I can feel I've made progress in some areas in the past few months. Much of it due to this class on The Artist's Way. I have written, by hand, three pages most days. I've done many of the book tasks. I've joined in the Zoom classes even on days I wanted to just hide quietly in a book or a movie. That is real progress for me! I tend to avoid things that make me uncomfortable, so to push myself into this new technology (new to me) and share with my instructors and classmates is true progress. I have also made advances in my writing and feel it has opened up my mind to what more I can accomplish. Another area is I've started taking better care of my health with diet changes and exercise. This is all progress for me.



26. What makes you feel insecure in your writing, and why?


I'd like to think I wasn't insecure in my writing but history shines a glaring light on that. I obsess about whether or not I am using proper English, spelling, and puctuation. I worry excessively about how my words will be interpreted. Will I offend anyone? Will they find my writing boring or lacking in substance? If it's a blog post, I worry that my words will be hard to "hear" and that my writing voice might reflect snarkiness when I intended to just be thoughtful and honest. In considering a book, I worry it won't entertain or that I won't be making the point I'm going for. If there are insecurities about writing, I'm sure I have all of them. 



#growmeastory 



© 29MAY2022 ajjahner

No comments: