Monday, May 9, 2022

May Writing Prompts

The course I am taking through Grow Me A Story has given a list of writing prompts for the month of May. I finally got around to getting some of them done. These are just thoughts on the prompt, written in 5 minutes. You take the prompt for the day, set a timer, and just write whatever comes to mind. Here are the first few I've done. These are typed just as I wrote them, without editing.

May 1. Use the word "bloom" as your prompt today.

The word bloom makes me think of my mom. One of her favorite sayings was "Bloom where you are planted". Easier said than done sometimes. I'm currently in a rocky place. To bloom seems difficult, but it is not impossible. If roots are planted deeply enough, then water and nourishment will be found, and as they are found, I will flourish and eventually blooms will appear. Bloom is a word of hope. Of coming to fruition. Of life and of beauty. As I look out into my yard, I see all the beautiful blooms that came from plants and trees which had lain dormant during the long winter months. Then came the season to bloom, to shine! That time is coming for me, as a writer and as a person.


May 2. Write about a time you went on a picnic.

Picnics bring to mind my mom. We went on a lot of picnics when I was young. To the parks, to the hills, to Lucky Peak or Robie Creek. I remember one picnic when I was about 6 years old. It was at Lucky Peak. Mom spread a blanket over the hot sand, near the water. We had hot dogs on white bread. The ketchup oozed through the thin Wonder Bread, but the hot dogs were delicious! We had glass bottles of soda, bags of chips, and I think there was watermelon. Mom sat in her cutoffs and button-up shirt tied at her waist, dark sun glasses. We played in the sand and in the water! It was a perfect day!


May 3. Imagine your perfect summer day and describe it using your senses.

Summer is not my favorite season, but there have been some wonderful summer days. My perfect summer day would be sunny, but not too hot. About 68 to 72 degrees, a slight breeze keeping the air moving. The scent of roses and other summer flowers in the air. It would be walking barefoot in the soft grass or on a beach. It would be a trip to the park with a picnic lunch and then a visit to the zoo. It would be stopping for an icee, a snow cone, or an ice cream cone. It would be taking the slow way home and going off plan to drive wherever the road takes me, radio playing, hair blowing in the wind from my open window. All of these or any one of these!


May 4. Describe your plan for your summer writing.

I don't really have a plan. I've been advised to just write. To let words flow onto paper. To just get something written down. That is what I plan to do. I also plan to put more family stories onto "paper". To get the memories down for my sons to have to to enjoy. I also plan to revisit the books I started. To read them again. To add some content to them. To share them with someone who will look at them with fresh eyes. To accept criticism. To allow myself the time and the commitment to just write freely and without restricting my thoughts. Write. Write. Write. That is my only plan.


May 5. Use the word "growth" as your prompt today.

Growth. To change. To stretch. To bloom. To reach a new stature or a new place. To achieve a new goal. I am pushing to achieve new growth in my writing this year. Working through the class and the prompts from Grow Me A Story. It has enlarged my borders. It has created the "fertile ground" for my growth to begin to take off. I can feel the changes in how I am approaching not just writing, but in other areas of my life. Growth means health. When we're not growing, we are not really living. We are stagnant. Growth requires nourishment, fresh air, sunshine, and care. That's what growth in my creative life requires.


May 6. Describe the best and worst things that happened this week.

This one is hard. I suppose the worst thing is this miserable cough that keeps hanging on. Being sick has kept me from doing things around the house I wanted to get done. It has kept me from my Morning Pages and other creative work. The best thing is I finally saw my doctor. Started on antibiotics and meds and now am feeling better. I'm back to my Morning Pages. I've had a surge of creative energy just this morning. We've also had more rain, my lilacs are beginning to bloom. There is always good alongside any bad. Look for the good in life. It is there for the taking.


May 7. Identify an obstacle to enjoying your summer. What can you do about it?

I am the obstacle. My cough, my weakness, my overall poor health. My fear of leaving my house and the fear of having anyone visit me because of all the clutter. My dislike of summer heat and how it makes me feel. I can work to improve my health. Follow doctor's orders. Keep exercising and increasing my strength levels. Start leaving the comfort of my house a little at a time, beginning with small outings. Get my house in order so I won't feel shame when a friend comes by. And, work on ignoring my own mess and enjoying the fact that there is a wonderful friend here to visit with me in my own home. Lose the personal judgement I put on myself!


8.Describe a favorite memory of your mother or a mother figure from your childhood.

My mother. There are so many memories to choose from. The same with my grandma, the mother who raised me. For mom it's yard sales, long drives, picking asparagus from the side of the road, listening to the radio, spur of the moment ideas like knocking down her old fence with the help of her Volkwagen Bug. Laughter! For grandma it's singing and learning to harmonize. Hanging laundry together. Hearing her pray while she was cleaning or just walking through the house. Playing checkers and Scrabble. Long walks up the field. Hearing her yodal! Hearing her laughter. Feeling her love. Feeling their love! Having the blessing of 2 mothers in my life. Both who loved me so deeply and so well! I have been blessed!


© 09MAY2022 ajjahner

2 comments:

Donna said...

Aww, I'm hoping you are feeling better now because of the antibiotics? I hate those lingering coughs!
And your mom yodeled?lolol...too darn fun!!
Feel better friend!
hughugs
Donna

Nita Jo said...

Thanks Donna! I am starting to feel better at last! Now heading to see what you've been up to!
Hugs!
Anita Jo