Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Treasure of Friendship

Yesterday I had the privilage of picking up a dear friend from the airport. Carol was coming down for a quick business trip. We had time to squeeze in breakfast and conversation between her arrival and her first meeting.

There is nothing like the hug and smile of a friend. Time and distance may separate, but it fades quickly in the easy laughter of a shared story. I find I still carry many of my youthful insecurities... will she notice how much weight I've gained... what will she think when I tell her I haven't been writing... will we still have things to talk about?

My life feels so mundane to me. Yet, it didn't take long to fall right back into the conversational ease that we've always had. Carol now lives in what I like to refer to as the far, far away, cold North Country. She shared a horrifying story of trying to get to the airport, over mountain roads, in the middle of a white-out. That's a horrific, blinding snowstorm for those of you that are unfamiliar with the term. It's almost worse than heavy fog. Your headlights hit the snowflakes and it's like a moving white wall that you can't see past. Thankfully, her angels were hard at work and got her to the airport just in time to board her flight.

The time passed too quickly. I realized how much I've missed our talks and what they have meant to me. Friendship is a treasure. It's not to be taken for granted, and should be enjoyed fully at every opportunity! I look forward to the next time we get to share our stories, and our lives, over a cup of coffee. In the meantime, I will be working at tending some of my other friendships, and getting back to the business of life.

No comments: