Friday, January 11, 2013

Remembering Grandpa

Sending birthday greetings heavenwards, to my grandpa!  He was born 100 years ago today!  I'm sitting here on this snowy morning, sipping a cup of hot coffee, and reflecting on my years with my grandpa.  What a sweet, amazing man he was.  He made such a difference in my life.

I stayed with my grandparents off and on from the day I was born, then permanently when I was just 8 years old.  I'm not going to write a long story about him, just a few descriptive words...

  • grandpa, father
  • minister, man of tremendous faith, believed in the power of prayer
  • loved his family, proud of every new addition to it
  • loved me unconditionally 
  • looked for the best in people 
  • taught me to be generous
  • sang in his beautifully off-key voice with joy 
  • loved to laugh, and his laughter was contagious
  • loved nature, gardening, birds
  • always made time for people
  • dressed well, even when spending the day at home
  • had beautiful handwriting
  • loved words and learning
  • remembered your name...
I always expected grandpa would live well beyond his 100th birthday.  He loved life, and this beautiful world we live in.  He had a vision for a better, more peaceful world.  I still carry the same hope in my heart.  

Wishing each of you joy and hope.  

Wishing grandpa a very Happy Birthday.  I will always remember...

5 comments:

Donna said...

What sweet memories! Sounds like he was truly a special man!

Nita Jo said...

Thanks Donna! He really was. I still think about him often and miss talking to him. One day we will meet again though!

Tammy said...

What a special tribute to a very special man. Your thoughts of him warm my heart.

Donna said...

Sweet Tribute to him Nita!
hughugs

Nita Jo said...

Thanks Tammy and Donna! I am grateful, every day, I had such a wonderful man to help raise me.