Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Favorite Memory Prompt

I haven't been using the June writing prompts but decided to try another one today. Life has just been so busy, including reconnecting with a little sister I hadn't seen in over 30 years. It was amazing! I may share more about it at some future date, but what I will say today is I am beyond happy and feel so blessed!

Now to the prompt. These are written with a 5 minute timer and unedited. The point is to push myself to write a little bit each day when possible. I'm doing the June 8th one today. 

8. Describe a favorite memory of a summer evening. 

I'm in our yard, mid 1960's. It's dusk and grandma is sitting in one of the lawn chairs. Grandpa points out the moonflowers. They are opening up! It's a magical sight to see the yellow blooms slowly unfolding into full bloom as the warm evening gets darker. As I look past them, across the gravel drive and the grapevines growing over the metal double loop fence, I can see the neighbors white house and big red barn in the distance. To the west the mountains look blue in the darkening sky. The fresh summer smells drift in on the warm breeze. Our old calico mama cat is tracking one of the giant moths that are attracted to the moonflowers. My sister and I watch it all with delight.


© 15JUN2022 ajjahner

2 comments:

Sally said...

Nita Jo, I meant to say earlier that I'm so happy that you and your sister have reconnected. I hope the two of you will be able to meet once again.

Your writing brings me memories also. :)

xoxo

Nita Jo said...

Sally, I'm glad my writing brings you memories too. That happens to me when I read other people's blogs too. I just visited your blog and enjoyed that last post with all the flowers and the pool and Rylan's drawing. I'm also very happy my sister and I have reconnected. Bless you and thank you for your kind comments.