Thursday, January 12, 2012

Day 12 - Beginnings, Eye Glasses

As I sit here, I'm struggling to see the computer screen.  I got my new glasses today.  Progressive lenses.  I can barely see a thing, especially with my right eye.  My first pair of progressives was back in 2009. I remember there was an adjustment period with them.  They told me to give these a week.  If I'm not seeing well by then, I'll get another eye exam.  Any of you who love reading like I do, can understand my frustration at the wait.  That said, I know there are much worse things I could be going through.  I will just have to put on my "happy face" and be patient. 

All of this reminded me of my first pair of glasses.  I got them in 4th Grade.  It was a whole new world for me.  Things looked more interesting than I'd originally thought, or at least there were a lot more details and definition.  Eyesight is definitely a blessing and something I never take for granted. 

Several times today, I was reminded that it's important to be thankful for things in our lives.  Gratitude Journals were mentioned on a program this morning.  My friend Carol, of Silver Valley Stories, posted about Simple Delights.  Goldie Hawn spoke about attitude and the brain/body connection on Dr. Oz this afternoon.  I know when I focus on the good, I feel better.  It only takes a few minutes out of each day to make a difference.  It doesn't erase all the bad in our lives, but it makes it so much more bearable to live with.  Sometimes it pays to smile through the tears, to sing through the storm, to look for all the good that is right there in front of us.   

No comments: