Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 4 - Beginnings, Hoarding

Here I am at Day 4 of NaBloPoMo, Beginnings.  See the link on my sidebar for more information.

Today was the beginning of my resolution to regain order in my home.  For those who don't know, I am a hoarder.  Before you all pass out, because I know you've seen those TV shows or the commercials...  NO, I do not have rotting food in my fridge, dead animal carcasses, racoons living in my house (aka Grey Gardens).  In fact, I don't have any pets at this time, though that will change one day.  I do have an overabundance of "stuff" that I have collected over the years.  Even with donating box after box of things to charities, I still have excess.

My love of books has taken over the house.  I am going to stop buying and start reading what I have.  The best-loved will stay.  Those that are a one-time fun read will be sold or donated to a library.

I have baskets, boxes, drawers, and shelves filled with things that I plan to use for art and craft projects.  If I have not created a piece of art by July, I will be having a big yard sale so someone else can dream of being artsy/craftsy.  Even if I do actually start creating pieces, all that good junk needs to be labeled and organized.

I've been giving away family keepsakes, knickknacks, photos, etc. to other family members I know will treasure them.  I've had to ask myself, how much can one old girl enjoy?  Really.  I have dreams of simplifying.  And yes, it's been on my resolution list before.  The difference is that my heart is ready for a big change.  One of these days, there will be photos to document the changes.

Now, about those other resolutions... yes, there are a couple but this is the big one for 2012!  Simplify, Organize, and Enjoy the Journey.

© 04JAN12 ajj

No comments: