Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 19 - Beginnings, Stories via Television

I have always loved stories.  It started with hearing family tales and having books read to me; progressed to doing my own reading and creating my imaginary worlds; then moved into television and movies.  I love all forms of story telling, but today I'm taking a look back at television.

The very earliest programs I remember were Romper Room and Captain Kangaroo.  The Captain was a particular favorite of mine, and of the characters on his program, I remember Mr. Green Jeans and Mr. Moose the best.  It had stories, skits, songs and more, and was fuel for my already active imagination.

Later on, there was I Love Lucy, Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color, Lassie, Art Linkletter, and more.  There weren't endless hours of TV viewing in my childhood.  Time in front of the set was limited and many programs were watched by the whole family.  My love for comedy, animal stories, mysteries, and action films started back then.  Television expanded my universe, much the same as radio did for the previous generation, and the Internet has for today's youth.  Television sometimes gets a bad rap, but for me it provided a forum for entertainment, learning, and keeping in touch with the big world that existed beyond my little town.

No comments: