Monday, January 16, 2012

Day 16 - Beginnings, Happy Birthday Dr. King

When I think of things that have had an impact on my life, my way of thinking, there are a few that certainly stand out.  Learning to pray, reading, attending school, family... the basics.  Then there are the major news events that changed me; the assassination of John F. Kennedy, of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Vietnam, the fall of the Berlin Wall, Columbine, 9/11...  so many more.

Today I want to honor the memory of Dr. King.  I was 11 years old when his life was taken.  During my childhood there was so much more news coverage available to us, than in previous generations.  I saw some of the violence, the inequality, the injustices played out before me.  But, I also saw the hope and the dreams of great people like Dr. King.  I was privileged to hear some of his words, and those words created in my mind a picture of a world free of hatred.  In my innocence, I thought it was just around the corner.  All these years later, much has changed.  Much has not.  We still have to stand up for what is right.  For peoples freedoms.  We have to work even harder to create that world of peace, equality, harmony and love for one another.  To expand our understanding of all people.  Not just those who resemble us, and believe like us.  We have a responsibility to continue making dreams into reality for the generations that follow us.


© 16JAN12 ajj

No comments: